everything and nothing. not really sure yet.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

On poppy fascism

Channel 4 newsreader Jon Snow has managed to spark up controversy over his refusal to wear a poppy on air. His argument is that, as a newsreader, he should not make any kind of statement (that could be a poppy, an aids ribbon, a wristband, or anything else for that matter). I agree with him. Newsreaders are supposed to be unbiased, but displaying something like a poppy shows a personal opinion that has no place in news - which is supposed to be about information only. I also don't think that one person should be forced to do something he doesn't want to do, just because everyone else on television is. I also don't think people should just wear poppies because its the convention, because then they're not being sincere about their opinions. Then they're not really supporting the poppy appeal. For the record, despite being decidely pacifistic and anti-military, I support the poppy appeal. Just because I don't necessarily support the war they're fighting in, it doesn't mean that I don't support them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home